It sounds silly, of course you wouldn’t turn down a paycheck, but do you REALLY know how often you are non-intentionally doing it?
I often try to remind people that networking happens everywhere; soccer practice, book club, church luncheon, waiting in line at the DMV, birthday parties, backyard BBQs, and anywhere else you mingle with people. Its easy to say “ya ya I know that” but if you can start saying “there’s my next paycheck” I truly believe that can change your whole mindset.
Look at Cathy sitting next to you watching your sons play soccer. Have you talked to her? Do you know what neighborhood she lives in? Do you know if she’s happy where she lives? More importantly, does she even know what you do?! Cathy could be sitting there, right now, glancing down at Zillow listings and wondering how to even get started at making a move. Wouldn’t you kick yourself if you found out at next week’s game she purchased a house with some strange agent she found online?
Letting people know what you do, and staying in front of them doesn’t need to be pushy sales. It can be subtle. Here are some ideas:
- Wear clothing with your logo on it
- Bring a camping chair to the game with your logo on it
- Provide reusable plastic water bottles for all the kids, branded of course
- Provide goodie bags for your women’s retreat
- Become Facebook friends with EVERYONE and make them part of your sphere (they will see you being a successful person and want to know more)
- Sponsor the team BBQ
- Hand out branded towels at the swim tournament
- Carry notepads and/or branded pens to give the guy next to you searching for one
- Take an ACTUAL interest in their lives
- ALWAYS have business cards on you
Don’t miss out on opportunities to earn your next client aka Paycheck.