So often I hear people say “What do you mean you bought a house with your friend and not with me?!” or “How did you not know I provided that service” or even “Well if I would have known … I would have used you” or the WORST is “Oh…I didn’t even think to use you”.
Those are some of the hardest, gut wrenching words to hear. We often get so wrapped up in our own worlds that we forget not everyone is living and breathing our business like we are. Of course we would like to assume that our friends and family think to use us first but that just doesn’t happen.
Did you know that the average person has 3 realtors in their own personal sphere of influence? And that’s just the average Joe…you and I who are active networks are surrounded by so many more professionals and industries.
So how can you help avoid losing out on referrals? My best tip… You ready… ASK FOR IT! You have to ask your friends and family for referrals. You have to remind them regularly that’s what you do for a living, what you do to feed your kids, and what you’re professionally trained to do.
Here’s some quick samples on asking:
- Oh hey Aunt Jody, I see your friend’s kids are moving out, would you please introduce us so I can see if she needs help moving into a smaller home?
- Hey Bob, I heard you say your client just bought a new home, would you mind introducing us so that I can help them with any plumbing needs they may have now or in the future.
- Cindy, I want to introduce you to Ron because I think the two of you would be a great referral source and by the way, don’t forget I can also help both your clients out with their needs.
- Kathy! Congrats on the baby, have you thought about moving to a larger home?
- Tim, its been so nice working with you, do you have 2 contacts you can introduce me to next week?
Also…ask you friends and family to post testimonials about the work you do. They can tag you in them on Facebook and LinkedIN so all their friends see.
Just remember, if someone has used your services and was happy, they used them because they like you and if they like you they will not have a problem referring you, you just need to ask.